Dubai Retirement Visa for the Retired Expats – Everything You Need to Know!
Retired residents over the age of 55 can apply for a long-term visa of 5 years. Read about other eligibility criteria and the steps to apply.
Switching from a career-focussed life to a family-centred one requires a careful planning, to transform this phase of life into golden days filled with laughter, and cherished moments. If you’re planning for a better retirement life, Dubai will be the ideal choice, as it offers an outstanding life that put the convenience of its residents at the forefront. From food, medicine, to grocery, you can get everything at your doorstep within a single click. With vibrant culture, utmost safety, and tax-free status, Dubai is one of the best places to spend your retirement life peacefully and happily.
Recently, the UAE Government has introduced amendments to the Retirement Visa policy, stating expats who have retired and above the age of 55 can apply for a renewable retirement visa valid for 5years. This visa allows expats to stay inside the country after retirement and can also sponsor their family. If you are interested to apply for a retirement visa, read about other eligibility criteria and the steps to apply.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for Retirement Visa
Retired residents who are over the age of 55 can apply for this visa. To get eligible to apply for a retirement visa, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
Option 1: An income of at least AED 180,000 (approx. $49,000) a year or AED 15,000 (approx. $4,100) a month.
Option 2: AED 1 million (approx. $275,000) savings as fixed deposit for 3yr.
Option 3: AED 1 million (approx. $275,000) unmortgaged property or mortgaged property, for which the payment made till date should be at least AED 1 million.
Option 4: A combination of option 2 & 3, valued for at least AED 1 million (approx. $275,000) in a 3-yr fixed deposit and property worth AED 500,000 each.
Note: If you are a local applicant, make sure to submit all your documents translated into Arabic. And for international applicants, all the bank letters should be attested formally.
Documents Required to Apply for Retirement Visa
As a retired expat in Dubai, you need the following documents to apply for a renewable 5year valid retirement visa in the UAE.
- Proof of retirement (it can be an End of Service letter specifying the number of years of service, and include the details that you have retired)
- Passport copies of applicant and dependants (make sure that passport must be valid for more than 6 months)
- Recent photographs of applicant and dependants
- Copy of current visa & Emirates ID (if you’re a UAE resident)
- Attested marriage certificate (if you are sponsoring your spouse)
The above mentioned are the common documents required for all the 4 options. Read below to understand the documents required option-wise.
Additional Documents Required for Option 1 – Income
- A letter from the relevant organization which provides the source of income. Or an authorization letter from the previous employer, stating that they are willing to provide a monthly retirement income of AED 15,000 monthly.
- Bank statement for the last 6 months, stamped and attested by your bank.
Additional Documents Required for Option 2 – Fixed Deposit
- Stamped letter from a UAE based bank stating the amount AED 1 million is placed in a 3-yr fixed deposit in a UAE Bank. (make sure that the letter must be in Arabic).
- The letter should be addressed to GDRFA, stating that the funds are secured as per the required criteria.
Additional Documents Required for Option 3 – Property
- The minimum value of the property should be AED 1 million as per the title deed.
- The title deed should address the name of the applicant. If the property is registered under the company, the company must be with 100% ownership.
- If there are any shared owners, the applicant’s share of property ownership must be at least 1 million.
- If mortgaged, the payment made till the date should be at least AED 1 million.
- Please be noted that the investments made on off-plan properties will not be taken into consideration.
- Properties with a combined value of AED 1 million can be utilized for applying a residence visa if they meet the above criteria.
Additional Documents Required for Option 4: Savings & Property
- Under this option, if you have a property worth AED 500K, then you need to show the proof of savings AED 500K, so combinedly it will meet the eligibility criteria of AED 1 million.
- The documents required to apply for a retirement visa may include those specified for option 2 & 3.
If you require any assistance in arranging these documents, you can get help from MTR Expert Consulting. With a team of visa consultants, they can guide you to every step to make your visa process hassle-free.
How to Apply for a Retirement Visa in Dubai?
The application process may differ based on the pathway you choose for and the authorizing entity who approves your visa.
- If you prefer to get retirement visa through property investments, then Dubai Land Department will be the entity who approves your application.
- And for savings, General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) will be responsible for proceeding your retirement visa application.
To submit your application via GDRFA:
- Visit the GDRFA website.
- Select the “Individuals” login option.
- Register by providing all the required details and create a username & password.
- Login to your dashboard to start a new application.
- Complete the application and submit the form online.
To submit your application via DLD:
- You can get help from any real estate agency in Dubai to proceed with your property application.
Ms. Kamilla from MTR Expert Consulting stated, “Once you’ve decided which one of the financial options you want to apply under – savings, property, or a combination of both, you can get in touch with us. From paperwork, visa approvals, to issuance, we will take care everything to ensure that your visa will be issued without any hassle.”
For more information on Retirement Visa for expats, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org